Passing a bill to find out what’s in it is an insult to every hardworking taxpayer and family in this country. H.R. 5376, the so-called Build Back Better Act, was voted on this week in a desperate attempt by the majority to save face and prop up their agenda that the American people wholeheartedly reject. But do you know what’s in all 2,468 pages of this bill? Does any American really know what’s in it?
Below, I’ve pulled out some of the most concerning provisions that are not widely reported on in the media. Now, these are just a few issues that skim the surface of this 2,400+ page catastrophe of a bill. I want to ensure that you can look through this legislation, so I’m including a link to its text here. Here’s what this bill is hiding from you:
- $80 billion to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that will be used to hire 87,000 new agents for tax enforcement purposes.
- $300 million in giveaways to teachers’ unions through the Emergency Connectivity Fund to keep children at home.
- $412 billion in taxes on small businesses, resulting in a top rate upwards of 57%.
- Eliminations of work requirements to receive welfare benefits for able bodied adults – at a time when there are over 10.4 million job openings.
- State And Local Tax deductions that will give millionaires up to a $25,900 tax break each year.
- The expansion of Obamacare subsidies through 2025, overwhelmingly benefiting wealthier Americans and subsidizing people who already have insurance.
This radical agenda puts Americans last, and I was proud to vote against it.
In my newsletter from last week, I pointed out how inflation is gripping the country even tighter as the holiday season comes into view. Not surprisingly, last week inflation reached a 30-year high, and North Carolinians are feeling its effects even more. Don’t believe me? Savings.com, a website dedicated to helping consumers find lower prices in grocery stores, released an analysis that ranked Raleigh in the top 10 most expensive places to prepare a Thanksgiving meal. If Raleigh is experiencing these prices right now, imagine how rising costs are affecting people across the 5th District. This is the direct result of President Biden’s failed policies.
On top of rising Thanksgiving dinner costs, consider rising gas prices, rising costs to heat homes, and the basic commodities that we rely on that are now becoming out of reach. And all of this as the Administration has stated for months that inflation is “transitory” and even a result of positive economic indicators. I will continue to hold this administration to account for its failed policies and denials of reality.
New Scam Alert
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Eastern North Carolina recently released a Risk Report showing how servicemembers, veterans, and their families are being targeted by scammers. According to the report, the median loss for veterans per scam attempt averages to $133 while active-duty military members lost an average of $269 per scam. The BBB of Eastern North Carolina also points to online purchasing, employment, and home improvement scams as the riskiest for veterans. Recently, I came across an article from Spectrum News that provides helpful tips and information on how to avoid these scams. I highly recommend that you take a few minutes to read through it.
Quote of The Week
"Nothing is as permanent as a temporary government program.”
Have a blessed weekend.